A good craftsman could shape a ring, repair a clock or watch, or fix a pair of spectacles.

P.L. Casebeer and J. P. Statler established the first local jewelry store in 1889 in conjunction with an optometry department. The store occupied the center storeroom of the Frease Building along Main Street in uptown Somerset, until recently, the location of the J. J. Newberry’s Store.

In 1914, the partnership of Casebeer and Statler dissolved and Statler began his business at another location. Prior to 1914, Mr. Casebeer hired a young man named Harvey E. Stahl, who later trained at the Bowman Technical School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He mastered the watch making, jewelry, and engraving trades. Just a few years later Harvey Stahl became Casebeer’s partner in the business. This partnership continued until the late 1920’s.

In 1929, the partners journeyed to Lancaster to recruit a student at the Bowman Technical School. They were both impressed by a young man named Harris G. Decima. Casebeer hired Harris who was only 18 at the time. Then, in 1937, Harold E. Lafferty also joined the firm upon his graduation from Somerset High School.

In 1941 the Stahl’s Jewelry was relocated to its present address of 121 North Center Avenue.

Harvey Stahl “retired” in 1948 and sold the business to Harris Decima, a short time later Harvey decided to come out of retirement and repurchased the store from Harris. Then in 1958 Harvey retired for good and Stahl’s Jewelry was sold to Harris Decima and Harold Lafferty.

During these years, and into the late 1970’s, Stahl’s Jewelry was the official Baltimore and Ohio watch inspection station where Baltimore and Ohio employees were compelled to have their timepieces inspected bi-monthly and then monthly. Their timepieces were checked with the fine master clock which to this day still stands as a traditional piece of the Stahl’s Jewelry firm.

In 1964, after graduation from Bowman Technical School, Carl H. Keiser joined the firm, and later in 1966, purchased part of the business from Harris Decima. Harris, later in 1968, retired and the owners became Harold Lafferty and Carl Keiser.

In 1971, Gary G. Thomas started working for Stahl’s Jewelry and then in 1978 James R. “Bob” Suter began working for Stahl’s, having also come from Bowman Technical School.

Then, in 1982, Harold Lafferty retired and sold the business to Carl Keiser, Gary Thomas and Bob Suter, and it remained that partnership until the end of 2001.

In 1990, C. Jeffrey (Jeff) Keiser started at Stahl’s after graduation from Bowman Technical School, one of the last graduating classes at Bowman’s before its doors closed for good.

Starting in 2002, after Carl retired, the business became the ownership of Gary Thomas, Bob Suter, and Jeff Keiser. In 2009, Gary Thomas retired leaving the business with Bob Suter and Jeff Keiser. In 2015, Christopher Shaffer became a partner in the business and now ownership is shared by Bob Suter, Jeff Keiser, and Christopher Shaffer.

Stahl’s Jewelry is owned and operated by community involved people and also employs three people along with the three partners. Stahl’s Jewelry strives to ensure a very special customer experience and always puts customer service first.

Jewelry Making Process

Concept

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

Drawing

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

Color

Diamond Color, in most diamonds, actually refers to the absence of color. The less color in the

Casting

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

De-Waxing

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

Grinding

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

Finishing

It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page

Cut

Diamond Cut does not refer to a diamond's shape, but to the proportion and arrangement of its fa